Tips for Helping Someone Who Has Experienced Domestic or Sexual Violence
- Believe Them – When someone confides in you, your reaction can make a huge difference.
- Become Informed – Contact programs and services in your area that assist victims of domestic and sexual violence.
- Lend a Sympathetic Ear – Don’t force the issue, just let your friend know you care by listening.
- Be a Guide to Community Services – When your friend asks for advice, share the information you’ve gathered.
- Focus on Strengths – Give your emotional support.
- Be a Friend – Provide whatever you can: transportation, child care and financial assistance.
- Develop a Safety Plan – Help your friend identify ways she/he can stay safe.